Thursday, July 30, 2015

A Quick Game


Two Sundays ago my friend Skye and I played a quick pick up game of Alpha Strike. Skye started out with his mechs in  a prepared defensive position while I was tasked to make a hasty assault and take the position. I had  a few more points than he did, but they didn't do me much good as you will see.


(Skye's Awesome 80 ton mech in a prepared defense position)

I started my assault by moving on the right flank of his position. I had to cross a small river to get to it. The board was mostly devoid of cover, but it did have a few terrain features that provided partial cover from some angles.

As moved forward and the Atlas lumbered forward, Skye sent some of his mechs off to move onto my right flank. I decided that this was more of a diversion and  would deal with it if it became a problem and continued pushing towards my actual objective.

(My assault on Skye's position continues)

As we entered firing range the critical part of this engagement unfolded. Skye concentrated his fire on one mech at a time. His firing (dice rolls) were lethal. He managed to destroy my 80 ton Zeus in three turns of firing. On the other hand, I only made two hits the entire time I was closing.

By this time Skye's mechs on the flank were closing to firing range. Again concentrating his fire, this time on my Atlas, he began to peel away at the assault mech's armor. 

After the destruction of the Zeus and the lethal fire coming from my flank, I decided the smart thing to do was to make an ordered withdrawal and to come back and take the position with a planned assault with more force.

As I withdrew Skye's continued to fire effectively on my Atlas. My return fire remained hopeless. Smelling the blood of an Atlas, Skye closed with the flanking mechs.

Again concentrating on the Atlas he managed to strip it of its armor and into the structure. He also scored a critical hit to its movement rate. But, finally, my shooting improved. His flanking Hunchback got a little too close and I managed to shred it with fire from my Atlas. After that he decided to let my force withdraw.

Total, I lost a Zeus and had an Atlas all but destroyed. He came out with a damaged Awesome and a Hunchback in critical condition. Because I withdrew he would have been able to recover the salvage from my dead Zeus. The pilot escaped however. So a clear victory for Skye. I decided my force commander would be having some words with whoever was in charge of maintaining his mech's targeting computers. 

It was a good game. We both had fun. Here's the best thing. The entire engagement took 40 minutes from start to finish. I love Alpha Strike.

Thanks for reading.

-Dave-


No comments:

Post a Comment